Dear Doctor

Dear Medical Professional, You will ask about his medical history, And I will repeat the story I have told 100 times or more, The details fine tuned to the essentials I know you need: He was born full term, He has a 7 year old brother who is fit and well, He is allergic to penicillin.  You will ask me what happened, And I will answer: He is 6 years old. He wasn't breathing for 7 minutes. I gave him mouth to mouth. I will hand over a careful typed piece of A4 paper. It will tell you his hospital number, The things he is allergic to, A list of medications and doses. You will take it and smile. You'll tell me I make your job easier. I will stand calm, And in control.  You see my demeanour, my hospital bags packed and ready, And you say, You've done this before. I'll nod and say many times. But remember this; That 6 year old is my baby. That boy with the oxygen, And the wires, And the tubes, Is my son. I watched him turn bl

When Words Aren't Enough

Hugh’s fundraiser was on Saturday night.  I’m still not sure how much was raised; it was a lot though – an awful lot.  I am completely astounded by people’s kindness and generosity.  In a time of austerity and recession, so many people pulled together to make a difference for Hugh.  It felt like being on an episode of DIY SOS.  All these people, some friends, some strangers, some people I’ve not seen for years – all there to support my amazing little man.  I want to thank everyone who played their part.  But how?  Sometimes words just aren’t enough.

********* 


Thank you.

It’s not big enough somehow.

Not even when I type it like this: 

Thank you.

It’s just not enough. 

It doesn’t convey the depth of emotion I feel,
Or the overwhelming gratitude,
Or how humbled I am.

It doesn’t express how moved I am,
How my heart could burst,
How truly loved and blessed I feel.

And yet ... it’s all I can say. 

There isn’t a word or a sentence or a phrase that can express how I feel.

So ...

To all of my wonderful friends,
And to my family.

To everyone who donated the absolutely amazing auction and raffle prizes,
And to all who bid on them and bought raffle tickets.

To the band and the DJ
And the doormen and the barstaff.

To the random photographer
Who offered his services for free at the last minute after a chance meeting with my aunt.

To the people who couldn’t make it
But donated anyway.

To the people who travelled many many miles just to be there
And to those who came despite circumstances conspiring against them.

To everyone who sent messages
Of support, positivity and encouragement.

To the lady who left a surprise bouquet of flowers
Just for me.

To the people who went above and beyond anything I could ever have possibly imagined
To create a truly wonderful, magical, amazing night ...

Thank you.

Just thank you.

Sometimes you don't need words.



Comments

  1. Aww - that's lovely. People can really surprise you sometimes can't they x very touching to read xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment.